15/04/06 in ED

by | |
There wasn't many that are working on Saturday. The guard was also surprised to see me coming to the hospital today. Well, just to see if there's anything interesting to learn.

We were browsing and looking through X-ray films and CT scans, trying to interpret and eyeing for the 'chinese smiling face' in the CT brain. We saw two emergency resusitation case today. One was well but we lost the other one.

The man, with chest pain and SOB, deteriorated within half an hour upon entering. When his BP dropped and the heart beat was unstable, I felt the adrenaline rush looking at them performing their job. They kept calling the uncle, trying to keep him awake. It is getting more and more 'alarming and panicky' every moment. After the MA gave a loud 'thump' on his chest, he asked to ring the code call as they are in need of staff assistance at that moment.

I rang the bell once. No one came. Then, after another bell, few staffs came running in. My hands felt cold and my heart raced fast. It was critical. I stood there continuing looking. After more than half an hour of CPRs and a few defibrillations (my 1st time seeing this in real life) , he still did not make it.

As he was a chinese, I was being a medium between the patient and the doctors. That makes me one of the few last person he talked to before leaving.

The X-ray machine was already ready outside. However, we did not even have the chance to perform a CXR on him.

But I guess.... all that can be done has already been done. I was still talking to him a moment ago but now, he is lying still on the bed. We lost him.

with little prayers... may you rest in peace, uncle...

2 comments:

Anonymous

feel so sad to heard that.. T.T
hope that that uncle can rest in peace ba..

Jolyn

yea, its rather sad, Joe but no point being too sad over it as well =)