My commuter's nightmare

by | |



If you read yesterday's Sunday Star newspaper, this is what you see on the frontpage.

A commuter's nightmare. [Got these pic from thestar.online picture gallery.]

Sometimes its really more than a nightmare. I was dropped off at MV's commuter station around 3 sthg in that Saturday evening. When I arrived at the platform, I saw the time was blinking on the board, indicating that the next train is going to show up soon. "phew, good timing", I thought. Yeah, thats only what I thought. The train was no where in sight. Fine, this is quite common actually and I continued waiting, while the crowds continued to pile up 'mountain-ously'. The 2nd train that was scheduled to arrive did not turn up as well. Same goes to the 3rd and then the board goes blank. YES! Nothing! No more next scheduled train. OK, now what?

"... disebabkan gangguan teknikal, tren komuter telah mengalami kelewatan... segala...amat dikesali ..."

...I'm speechless ...

I continued standing there fanning myself, irritative-ly with the commuter ticket, staring at the railway track, hoping that if I stare long enough, the train might appear and bring me back. I desperately need to get back. It is already half past four and I have to prepare and leave for Anna's wedding dinner by 6.30pm. How can i possibly make it when I'm still stranded here?

At that moment, how I wished there's someone I could ask for help. Yeah, in my dreams. Urggh... I stormed up to ask the attendant how long more will it take for a train to finally appear magically. I wasn't the only one. I waited for the others to finish and when asked, I was told that a train is currently heading here to pick us up, in about 20 mins time. ONE train to pick all these crowds up? He remained silence. Ah, forget it!

Then a lady, a total stranger, approached me and ask me what happened and bla bla...

We were in a rush and we decided to get our tickets refunded and opt for a taxi instead, though the recent rise in petrol price means that they are probably going to charge us with a crazy price. (that is one of the reason why I was in such a dilemma and was quite reluctant to quit waiting and go get a taxi instead)

I guess I see no other better choice. It is already 5pm! I taxi-pooled with the lady. Thank God! At least, we shared out the taxi fare. We got down at Segambut commuter station, one stop before Kepong's, as her car was parked there. I got into her car and she dropped me off at one of the bus stop on her way to pick up her children. And from there, I called to ask my mom to fetch me back.

The lady did ask, wouldn't my mom be shocked that I actually go 'tumpang' a total stranger's car?

I smiled. (I'm late and I see no other choice and I don't think of anything evil that you would do to me, erm..rite? ) hehe. Well, you trusted me as well and so I trust you as well. (what am I talking? what does she need to trust me for anyway?..whatever) But if it was a guy, I wouldn't dare to do so.

Anyway, I got back home safely though I was late for the dinner. The take home messageS are:

1. If you are using the commuter service, 1 hour time allowance is NOT enough. Do allow at least maybe, erm...3 hours? or maybe more. But if you are not in a rush, you can always spend half day waiting for the train to finally appear and enjoy being sandwiched in the train. Oh, an oxygen tank may come handy at times like that.

2. Bring more money so that you can always opt for a taxi, alone or not, when you really can't wait for the magic to do its job.

3. Magic doesn't work well on trains.

4. Prayers work. Pray to God. Thank God, I met that lady.

5. If you have someone like your buddy, boyfriend or husband,(who knows how to drive and have a car, peferably,) that is 24 hours on call, you have an advantage and you shall see more options available when in great need of help.

6. Follow our leader. Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting took Putra LRT and ERL, not KTM commuter.

But then again, places where only KTM commuter can bring you to, keep the fingers cross and just hope that you'll get there (0n time?).

7. Forget about the 30 cents frustration because the commuter's nightmare can drive you crazy. So keep your feet on the pedals again.

8. Time is precious; much precious than money/ petrol.

9. If this happens to you, you can always refund the ticket. (in case you didn't know)

10. Bring along sufficient water and probably something to give you sufficient sugar input to sustain the long hours of standing, to prevent dehydration and to keep yourself as calm and cool as possible(,though it is not quite possible).



Ooops, I forgot to warn you that this post consists heavy dose of frustration; its not U rated.

3 comments:

Anonymous

lol. Last time i used to travel with the Komuter to College too....and I have 8 AM class everyday. I actually left my home at 5.00 AM, just to be punctual and on time for my classes. I took the earliest ride and still the train also got problem. I also could not believe that the train actually moved backward (as opposed to forward) when the train broke down. I think RM 0.30 is cheap enough to cure the frustration. Imagine you paid for the price for the komuter ticket and received hopeless services. Not to mention the loss of your precious time. Did you know that in Japan, if you had any loss due to the train tardiness, you can prove that it's not your fault by just printing a statement at the station, indicating that you are one of the passengers.

Jolyn

ooh,i wonder if Malaysia wud implement the same thing as well.

The normal reply u wud probably get over here: "Leave earlier and give more time allowance lar. No more next time,k"

then you wud probably be thinking, " duh..u think i dunno meh. how much more earlier? 4 or 5 hours?"

Anonymous

wat a bad experience u have..T.T pity of u.. hope tat u will have betta luck next time!

btw.. i m quite impressive about ur view of trusting ppl.. for me.. i think no matter gal or boy, men or women.. i also will juz say thanks n walk away.. mayb i worried too much ~