wisdom teeth?

by | |
My lower right 3rd molar started growing last month. It was uncomfortable. It is still ok because back then I still have the left side to chew and grind my food. Now, my lower left 3rd molar is growing. Because of the thinning of the gum due stretching, ulceration happens more frequently when one's wisdom tooth starts sprouting out. And lucky me, I have ulcerations on my gum (left side). It is freaking painful. I can't even open my mouth too wide like when i'm yawning. Especially yesterday, the pain got pretty bad. I paid a visit to the dentist today since the ulcers and pain has been there for more than a week and it is not improving. If you ask me, am I feeling any wiser now? No. But i do feel more uncomfortable. I wonder why are the third molars called wisdom teeth? I don't see any good these teeth are bringing me.

They are generally thought to be called wisdom teeth because they appear so late—much later than the other teeth, at an age where people are supposedly wiser than as a child, when the other teeth erupt. The English wisdom tooth is derived from Latin dens sapientiae. Dutch also share the same root, verstandskies. There exists an interesting Dutch folk etymology that the Dutch word verstandskies is derived from "far-standing molar", and that mistranslations of the Dutch word (in which verstand translates to wisdom) are the root for corresponding words in other European languages.

ref. source: Wikipedia




Alrite, so that is why it happens to be called wisdom teeth. I am still finding it hard to agree. I can hardly consume hard edible stuffs now. There are two ulcerations found on my gum (left side). One of the crater is almost reaching 1cm big!!! Imagine a 1cm ulcer along your gum and another one near where the new molar is trying to poke its head out. It is pain + uncomfortness + troublesome. I see no wisdom in it. Calling them stupid teeth somehow seems more appropriate.

0 comments: