Love vs Like

by | |

HELLO, I'm Love. Do you know me? I bet you do. You can find me practically anywhere. I am there for everyone, yet I belong to nobody.

But you have to be very careful of me as I am very contagious. If you want me, you can get me from anyone - your parents, brothers and sisters, your friends, soul mate, and even your pet.
I'm really very special and different from my cousin, Like. When you're before me, your heart beats faster and winter seems like spring. But in front of Like, winter is just beautiful and you'll feel just the same.

The feeling of Love starts from the eyes, but the feeling of Like starts from the ears. If you stop liking a person, all you need to do is cover your ears. But if you try to close your eyes, Love turns into teardrop and remains in your heart forever.

How do one tell between 'love' and 'like' & how can I (or YOU) tell if i'm (or you are) in love or not? I've thrown these question out before but I never seem to get a clear definition or feedback. Perhaps that is because there is only a fine line between 'love' and 'like'... or perhaps not?

I was reading yesterday's Sunday Star's "Life & Soul" and this little passage caught my attention. Well, most of it sounds quite true i guess but how true is all these? I personally think that heart beats getting faster is not only restricted to special loved ones and may not necessary be increased when we are seeing them either. Judging by heart beat alone seems a bit too vague to me though there are times when we will fall into believing it. 'Surrrounding sounds' can also really make one into believing something and oftenly will land in blurry, messy & confused state, halfway hanging between 'love' and 'like'.

It reminds me of the passage from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 , which offer the best explanation that i know of on love:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails

When it comes to real life situation, I still can't find an answer to my questions on how to tell 'love' and 'like' apart though. Books, people and other resources may tell us 101 ways to ride a bicycle but if we did not go and experience and really try to ride on the bicycle ourselves, I guess we won't know how's riding a bicycle is like afterall. The same applies...




10 comments:

Anonymous

so how about the distinction between love and affection, passion, fond, infatuation and so forth?

Jolyn

Hi!Kevin! geez..thanks lots for ur comments. A good piece of personal sharing from u.

Its not my first time that I thought about & asked about these but it surely is my first time blogging bout this.haha. Also, its not my first time tht people thought that I’m in a state of confusion over someone. I sort of expected that the same will happen again this time..hehe

As I’ve mentioned, I never really have a clear answer on these issues and since i happened to come across the article on ‘Love’s like that’ on newspaper & then i just began blogging bout this. Well, Kevin, I’ll tell you if I'll ever got a ride on a ‘bicycle’ and will certainly share with you bout it, k ;) thanks again!

Jolyn

T'ng Eine, a very good question to be pondered upon.

At the time being,wht i can say is on wht i found about how dictionary defined these terms:

Love
A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness; A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair

Like
To find pleasant or attractive; enjoy;To want to have;To have an inclination or a preference

Affection
A tender feeling toward another; fondness

Fond
Having a strong liking, inclination, or affection

Passion
A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.

(i picked these few definitions up on http://dictionary.reference.com/ )


well, i guess there's overlapping all these terms. they might be similar yet they are all still different,don't you agree?

Anonymous

hey Jolyn. tats an interesting post.
i also been searchin the definition of love and been askin around. everyone seems to hv a diff definition. but i agree wiv u tat we cant define love base on physiological activity.
I rememeber in psychology, ppl get more attracted to ppl of opposite sex when they are on somekind of wooden bridge high up.

reddaisie

Love..

well..the most obvious distinction is Love is a much stronger feeling than like...

Love grows gradually with time but like is a spontaneous thing..
U can see someone and immediately like the person..or maybe after a few words with that person..u find that u like that person...

But with love..u have to spend more time with that person..been thru ups and downs..seen each other fall and cry...no matter how bad things get..u still stand strong by that person..assuring each other that u can both get thru together...

So..for me..i dun believe in Love at first sight...Like as first sight perhaps..

and like wat ur fren said...when u are with someone u love..time juz flies..u can be urself..u dun have to worry bout how u need to carry urself...(as oppose to like...u try very hard to get that person's attention..u try to impress...)

well..that's about all i have to say..

hmm...u having some LOVE PROBLEM?? kekeke..

Anonymous

Most of us grew up immersed in Hollywood love stories. The basic story plot is simple: Boy and girl meet; they are immediately attracted to each other ; fall in love, then there's misunderstanding, one or both of them is hurt and angry ..... and the saga continues till they get married.

Life ain't fairy tales. In reality, getting married is not the end of the story but i would say is the beginning of the problem.

I remember one of my SOcial Psychology assignment was to write a paper on "how do you meet the person with whom you will try to live happily ever after?" This question is kinda philosophical yet I managed to get an A for this paper :P
SO i thought I wanna share my answer with you.

.... (to be continued coz it's too long)

Anonymous

(... part 2)

How, and with whom do people fall in love? This may be lame but my answer is people love one another for some of the same reasons that they come to like one another. Confuse?

In short, love evolved from like.

Jolyn

kw,
thx for ur compliment. yeah, its hard to define love isn't it(especially when it comes to boys-girls-relationship) but of coz u can't judge it just by physiological activities.well,as i've mentioned, the most well defined love tht i've ever come across is found in the holy bible =)

pao pao,
thanks for sharing bout wht u think & most importantly, ur personal experience with me. similar to what kevin has said earlier on, both of ur sharings gave me a better insight of love... especially the love in your world. those sharings seems so natural, flowing out from someone who really experience the boy-girl-relationship kind of love.
And i'm happy for u that u are experiencing 'love'. Well, unfortunately, i don't think i'll be able to give this kind of sharing coz frankly speaking, i have not truly experience this kind of love...but i am anticipating it ;)
and yeah,again...i'm not having any love problems nor am i facing any love crisis..hehe =)

Jolyn

t'ng eine,
"Life ain't fairy tales."
yup,true. what we read from books or watched from movies or dramas did manage to create some fantasies for some of us to live in. but,the truth is, life is and has to be more realistic.
"In reality, getting married is not the end of the story but i would say is the beginning of the problem."
well, i dont think marriage is the end of story either. Its like another new chapter in our life,after 'upgrading' from boyfriend-girlfriend to husband&wife. I personally do not belief tht marriage is the beginning of problem if one really knows and understands what marriage is and if they are ready to upgrade into this kind of commitment & blessing ;)

"how do you meet the person with whom you will try to live happily ever after?"
interesting question...(and yeah,congrats for scoring A and thanks lots for sharing your thoughts here)

i guess what u said is quite true."love evolved from like." u can like someone but not necessary love him/her. but if you love someone, you'll have to like him/her at the first place,rite? makes sense =)
i think its almost the same for : fond, affectionate, passion, etc.. as well. though all are presentably similar but the greatest of all is still LOVE. ;)

Jolyn

"Silver & Gold will eventualy corrode but the Jewel in Hand will foreva remain impeccable"

nice..neat..like it.hehe. well,pray and hope we will find 'The ONE' in our life soon ;)